The A2O Experience is a 7 day, stress free way to ride the entire Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail. We organise everything for you, include your meals, shuttle you when you’re tired and supply a toilet tent when needed (with the current lack of facilities and trees, most people think this bit is essential!). Our small group tour starts and finishes from Queenstown and takes you the entire length of the trail (excluding some parts of the State Highway), from the stunning alpine region of the first 4 sections in the Southern Alps through the Waitaki Valley and along the Vanished World limestone wonders on the way to Oamaru at the Pacific Ocean.
“With a maximum group size of only 10 people, we guarantee you exceptional service and personalisation on every tour. We make sure everyone has a fantastic experience, regardless of fitness or riding ability. We even cater for non-riders within a group.”
Sara Leadbetter, General Manager
If you’ve ridden and enjoyed the Otago Rail Trail, the scenery and variety in this part of New Zealand will blow you away…
This is a fully inclusive adventure where everything is organised for you. The A2O Experience includes:
- Return transport from Queenstown (Other towns by agreement)
- 7 days/6 nights accommodation
- 6 days of riding
- Twin share rooms in lodges, B&Bs, hotels and cottages, (shared facilities in some locations), single supplement available
- Helicopter transfer to the official start of the trail at Chop Creek
- All meals included (lunch on day 1 through to breakfast on day 7) We like good food and we like variety. Dinners are high quality with fresh local produce, lunches are delicious ‘all you can eat’ picnics.
- Snacks (fruit, nuts and lollies, more of our ‘all you can eat’ philosophy!)
- Fully supported with an experienced local driver
- Clay Cliffs access fee
- Omarama Hot Tubs
- Bike Hire*, 29er front suspension mountain bikes with gel seats
Due to the limited selection of accommodation for groups along this trail, this accommodation usually has a range of some ensuite, some private bathrooms and/or some shared bathrooms in the same location. We try to ensure that the ensuite rooms are shared fairly across the group throughout the tour.
- Braemar – Cottages with some shared Bathroom Facilities
- Twizel - Lodge Rooms with ensuite
- Omarama – Motel, Twin/double rooms with ensuite.
- Kurow – A new for 2017 Lodge with ensuite rooms
- Duntroon - Cottages with some shared bathroom facilities
- Oamaru – Luxury, historic B&B, twin/double rooms with ensuite or private bathroom
** The exact accommodation may change depending on availability and the needs of each tour.
2017/18 SEASON DATES AND PRICES NOW AVAILABLE:
(Tours depart on a Monday morning and return Sunday lunchtime)
October 21st - Fully Booked
November 6th - G, Places still available
November 13th - Fully Booked
November 20th – Places available
November 27th - G, Places still available
December 4th – Places available
December 11th – Places available
January 29th - Fully Booked
February 5th – Places available
February 12th - G, Places still available
February 19th – Places available
February 26th – Places available
March 5th - Fully Booked
March 12th – Places available
March 19th – Places available
March 26th – Places available
April 2nd - G, Places still available
April 9th - Fully Booked
April 16th - Fully Booked
April 22nd - Fully Booked
G – Guaranteed Departure. Tours are only guaranteed to depart when we have 4 or more people.
2017/18 Season Prices:
Peak Season (January/February/March 2018) $3195 per person
Off Peak Season (October/November/December 2017 and April 2018) $2795 per person
Single Room Supplement Due to the shortage of single accommodation on this trail, the rate is $475 off peak, $1175 in peak season.
EBike Upgrade $385 per bike
To inquire about the A2O Experience or reserve your place on one of our other Helibike or A2O Cycle Tours, please fill out the following form to give us some basic details so we can help you.
* Our hire bikes are 29er front suspension mountain bikes. After 4 years of experience and feedback from hundreds of customers, they have consistently outperformed all other bikes as the best style of bike to ride the entire trail. We strongly advise that you do NOT use hybrid bikes or non-mtb tyres on our tours. We provide a spare bike on all trips so there is no discount for bringing your own bike. Our eBikes are the amazing Merida eBig Tour XT.
** Accommodation and all suppliers are correct at the time of writing but may be subject to change. Please check at the time of booking.
*** Tours are only guaranteed to depart with 4 or more people.