The A2O Experience is a 7 day, stress free way to ride the entire Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail. We organise everything for you, include your meals, shuttle you when you’re tired and supply a toilet tent when needed (with the current lack of facilities and trees, most people think this bit is essential!). Our small group tour starts and finishes from Queenstown and takes you the entire length of the trail (excluding some parts of the State Highway), from the stunning alpine region of the first 4 sections in the Southern Alps through the Waitaki Valley and along the Vanished World limestone wonders on the way to Oamaru at the Pacific Ocean.
“With a maximum group size of only 10 people, we guarantee you exceptional service and personalisation on every tour. We make sure everyone has a fantastic experience, regardless of fitness or riding ability. We even cater for non-riders within a group.”
Sara Leadbetter, General Manager
If you’ve ridden and enjoyed the Otago Rail Trail, the scenery and variety in this part of New Zealand will blow you away…
This is a fully inclusive adventure where everything is organised for you. The A2O Experience includes:
- Return transport from Queenstown (Other towns by agreement)
- 7 days/6 nights accommodation
- 6 days of riding
- Twin share rooms in lodges, B&Bs, hotels and cottages, (shared facilities in some locations), single supplement available
- Helicopter transfer to the official start of the trail at Chop Creek
- All meals included (lunch on day 1 through to breakfast on day 7) We like good food and we like variety. Dinners are high quality with fresh local produce, lunches are delicious ‘all you can eat’ picnics.
- Snacks (fruit, nuts and lollies, more of our ‘all you can eat’ philosophy!)
- Fully supported with an experienced local driver
- Clay Cliffs access fee
- Omarama Hot Tubs
- Bike Hire*, 29er front suspension mountain bikes with gel seats
Due to the limited selection of accommodation for groups along this trail, this accommodation usually has a range of some ensuite, some private bathrooms and/or some shared bathrooms in the same location. We try to ensure that the ensuite rooms are shared fairly across the group throughout the tour.
- Braemar – Cottages with some shared Bathroom Facilities
- Twizel – Lodge Rooms with ensuite
- Omarama – Motel, Twin/double rooms with ensuite.
- Kurow – A new for 2017 Lodge with ensuite rooms
- Duntroon – Cottages with some shared bathroom facilities
- Oamaru – Luxury, historic B&B, twin/double rooms with ensuite or private bathroom
** The exact accommodation may change depending on availability and the needs of each tour.
2018/19 TOUR DATES***:
(Tours depart on a Monday morning and return Sunday lunchtime)
November 5th – Places Available
November 12th – Places Available
November 19th – Fully Booked
November 26th – Places Available
December 3rd – Places Available
December 10th – Places Available
December 17th – Places Available
January 21st – Places Available
January 28th – Places Available
February 4th – Places Available
February 11th – Places Available
February 18th – G – Places Available
February 25th – Places Available
March 4th – Places Available
March 11th – Fully Booked
March 18th – Places Available
March 25th – Places Available
April 1st – Places Available
April 8th – Places Available
April 15th – Places Available
April 22nd – Places Available
G – Guaranteed Departure. Tours are only guaranteed to depart when we have 4 or more people.
Last updated 19th May 201
Peak Season: (February/March/April 2019) $3195 per person
Off Peak Season: (October/November/December 2018 and January 2019) $2995 per person
Single Room Supplement: This is not always available due to the shortage of single accommodation on this trail. In this situation, we will endeavour to find another single for you to twin share with.
Ebike Upgrade: $395 per bike
To inquire about the A2O Experience or reserve your place on one of our other Helibike or A2O Cycle Tours, please fill out the following form to give us some basic details so we can help you.
* Our hire bikes are 29er front suspension mountain bikes. After 4 years of experience and feedback from hundreds of customers, they have consistently outperformed all other bikes as the best style of bike to ride the entire trail. We strongly advise that you do NOT use hybrid bikes or non-mtb tyres on our tours. We provide a spare bike on all trips so there is no discount for bringing your own bike.
** Accommodation and all suppliers are correct at the time of writing but may be subject to change. Please check at the time of booking.
*** Tours are only guaranteed to depart with 4 or more people.